Alf’s Easy Cassoulet
You will need
- 6 Alf Turner’s Hair of the Hog Sausages, cut into chunks
- 1x15mlsp (1tbsp) Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 Rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 Glass of white wine
- 290ml (½ pt) Vegetable stock
- 400g Can of baked beans
- 400g Can of flageolet or butter beans
- 4 Sprigs of thyme
- 2x15mlsp (2tbsp) Fresh parsley, chopped
What to do
Preheat the oven to 170ºC, Gas Mark 3.
Heat the oil and brown the sausage pieces in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the onion, garlic and bacon and cook until the onion and garlic are soft and beginning to turn golden. Add the white wine and bubble to reduce.
Add the stock, beans and thyme. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and then place in the oven and cook for 1½ hours until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
Remove the thyme sprigs and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving with crusty bread for dipping.